Thursday, July 17, 2008

poopy pants

Did you know that breastfed babies don't poo very often? Many only fill their diaper every 6-8 days, and sometimes, it takes even longer. And they can't get constipated. Whoo-hoo, right?

We thought this would be the case with Trey as he did a HUGE, hilarious poo on a Thursday a few weeks back. It was so huge I had to bathe him in order to get him clean. We had to throw away the towel that was under him when he poo'd because there was just too much of it to rationally think I was going to have time to clean it. We should have taken pictures, but I vowed to have a camera at the ready next time it happened because the whole situation was just too funny. Two unsuspecting parents and the poo monster. HA!

10 days later, Trey poo'd again. It was not hilarious this time, just a quick clean up job, an in and out sort of deal. I figured it would be another 10 days before we had to process a dirty diaper. But last night (Wednesday), right in the middle of dinner, Trey started fussing a lot. One minute was sitting in his johnny jump-up smiling and cooing, the next, he was screaming at me to get him out. I changed his diaper and lo-and-behold, there was poo. Hmmm. No big deal, even though it was a mere 4 days since the last dirty change. Again, a no incident change, and everyone was happy.

This morning I was in the shower and heard Patrick shouting at the dog. As you all know , I relish my bathroom time, so I was leisurely soaping up, washing my hair, etc. A few minutes later, I turned off the water, started drying myself off, putting lotion on, and Patrick starting shouting again. I thought that Belle had run off and Patrick needed to go chase her, but wanted to give Trey to me so he wasn't running down the street with a half naked baby. But no. Patrick had, in fact, been shouting at ME for several minutes.

So here I am, naked, standing in Trey's room, and see Patrick holding Trey's feet up and everything around the two of them is covered in poo. There is a gigantic pile on the floor, like Trey had just squatted and decided to do his business on the floor, sans diaper. There is also some poo dripping down the side of the dresser/changing table. And, of course, the changing table pad is COVERED in poo. Amidst it all, Trey is just laying there, content as can be with his feet and butt in the air, staring at his daddy, and probably wondering what all the fuss in about.

I'm not really sure what exactly happened. I don't know if the poo came first, or if Patrick picked up the baby while he was naked and THEN he poo'd. Despite the order of events, it was a priceless moment. And I forgot to take a photo.


(By the way, when Trey and I got to my work this morning, I noticed small poo stains on his feet. So we left a trail of poo from home to work.)

No comments: